Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring in the Woods

I love taking walks in the woods to see how the season is coming along, and watching for the spring ephemerals is like waiting for my good friends to visit. Seeing new growth after a long and grey winter warms my heart. The main woodland plants that I've seen actively growing are Wild Leek and Skunk Cabbage. With the warm weather and rain coming this week, I'll expect to see lots more on the way!


Found these squill on the way growing under a tree in a lawn on my walk to the woods. I think its an invasive, but I was just excited to see flowers already!

The entrance to the woods

I saw these coming up all over the place, and it took me longer that it should have to realize  what they were. I finally snipped off a leaf and smelled it: Wild Leek! 

The skunk cabbage is up and in full bloom. Such strange but strangely beautiful flowers (inflorescences). 


Look closely, can you see the dots of red where the skunk cabbage is blooming? They can be easy to miss, but look for them in low wet spots, and look close in the leaf litter. As soon as you spot them, you see them everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...