Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Skunk Cabbage

I'm still waiting for spring to come to Wisconsin, maybe it will happen this week? I'm excited for walks in the woods, and seeing spring wildflowers. The spring ephemerals are some of my favorites, Trillium, Hepatica, Blood Root, Dutchman's Breeches, and of course... skunk cabbage. Found in low growing wet areas, skunk cabbage is one of the very first plants to bloom in spring. Like some other members of the Araceae family, skunk cabbage is actually able to elevate the temperature of its flower, melting through snow or frozen ground, and spreading its pungent fragrance to attract early insects to pollinate it. I still think thermogenesis in plants is one of the coolest phenomena out there. 

I hadn't gotten out to the woods yet, so I made my own skunk cabbage flower earlier this week. Not sure what I should do with it though: Leave it in a flower pot as a decoration? Attach a magnet and hang it on the fridge? Drill a hole and wear it as a necklace? If you've got ideas, leave me a comment.


3 comments:

  1. Yes, you could use it as a fridge magnet to signal that it's time for the fridge to be cleaned out like hint hint Henry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think it would be a good necklace. Hight of fashion and all that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...