Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter (A little late)

Easter at our place was pretty simple. We didn't really have a lot of time to prepare before hand, so we didn't have much of a feast or lots of decorations. We did however, have a wonderful afternoon last Sunday baking and decorating eggs!


My mother used to make amazing hot cross buns for Easter, so I wanted to try my hand at it. I googled recipes, and found that unlike my mom's simple sweet bread, most hot cross bun recipes use spices in the dough. Always game to use cardamom, I decided to give it a shot! 


As always, Sheldon tries to "help"

Grinding the Cardamom


I think I ended up using a mix of cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and cloves. It was delicious.


Yum! I was too impatient to try them and put the frosting on while they were still hot (They are called "Hot" cross buns, right!?), and that melted, but they still tasted really good.


And now for the eggs!
We found this kit at Michaels, and anyone who knows Henry and me knows that we are easily distracted by shiny objects. It was a no-brainer pick. 


I'm coloring on my egg with a crayon to make a polka dotted egg. 

After dying the eggs, the instructions were to spread a thin layer of the included glue on the egg, and then apply the foil sheets. It took awhile to get the hang of it, and Henry had a lot more patience than I did. The packaged lied too. It said no mess... we were covered with sticky glue. It was messy, but a lot of fun.
Kitty Kisses!

Didn't they turn out cool?

Påskbordet, ready for our festive dinner of spaghetti. 


Sheldon was less than impressed with his Easter Bow. It lasted all of ten seconds once Henry let go of him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...