Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pressed Flowers

I miss working with Herbaria. For those who aren't plant nerds like me, herbaria are basically libraries of pressed plant samples. While in my normal life of working at a bookstore, I don't really have any use for glueing plants to paper for scientific purposes, I did discover last summer that it was pretty fun to use those same skills to make pretty things to hang on the wall! I made this collection as a wedding present for my brother. 

This is the whole set, sorry about the flash


Rosa sp. collected from Mayfair Mall, Wauwatosa


Aquilegia 'winky double dark blue and white' collected from Debbie's garden in Minneapolis

Golden Alexanders (Zizia aurea), Harebells (Campanula rotundifolia), and Prairie Smoke (Geum trifolium)  collected from Pioneer Meadow Farm in Center City, MN



Geranium maculatum collected from Debbie's Minneapolis garden

Dusty Miller (Jacobaea maritima) and Ivy (Hedra helix) collected at the Mitchell Park Domes in Milwaukee

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for spring so I can start collecting new material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you teach me how to press plants and make them pretty? (If you need an incentive, it means we can go hiking together and look at pretty plants...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look beautiful on our wall. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...