Sunday, March 13, 2011

Orchid

It was my friend's birthday yesterday, and I knew he loves orchids. I wanted another plant challenge, so I decided to make him an orchid flower out of polymer clay. The bloom I decided on was a brassolaeliocattleya hybrid, I think its called Almakee 'TIpmalee' AM/OST. Hybrid orchid names are confusing, and I'm not going to worry if I got the name right. 

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/azumino/kmagland/myphotos/catt.all.Hybrids/Hybrids.html

Here is the finished product. I used pastels again to make the highlights to give it depth. Adam seemed to like it, so I'll just wish him another happy birthday!


My own orchids don't have enough light to bloom, so maybe I'll just make a bunch of these and pretend! 




3 comments:

  1. Also looks like a daffodil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom says I should have counted the "petals" and seen that daffodils have 6 yellow "petals" like other lily-like relatives not 5. So it goes with a family of botanists, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually if you want to get technical about orchid flower parts, there are three petal like sepals, and three petals, the lower petal is usually much different, for example the "slipper" of a lady slipper, or the red petal in this case. Daffodils have six "petals" (sepals and petals) in their perianth, and a fused cup as a corolla. I'm a little confused about the structure here, because daffodils seem to have an extra whorl, without being truly doubled.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...