Sunday, May 15, 2011

Early May Woods



Here are some highlights from our walk in the woods last week. Many of my favorites are in full bloom right now, I love this time of year!


Wild Ginger (Asarium canadense) uses ants to pollinate its flowers, and so it puts them inconspicuously at ground level. They are just starting to bloom, and the buds are so cute and fuzzy!


 

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) in this patch were some of the biggest I've ever seen. The flowers huge! So beautiful. 


Not the greatest picture, but does anybody know what this is? I'm not familiar with it, but it was really cool looking. 


The trout lilies were out in force. In Wisconsin, we see two types, the white (Erythronium albidum) and the yellow (Erythronium americanum). They are basically indistinguishable by their leaves, both have dark green leaves mottled with maroon. They grow in amazing carpets across the woods.


I think this is Wood Anemone (Anemone quinquefolia).


Bellwort (Uvularia sp.)

 I love how may apples (Podophyllum peltatum) come up looking like alien umbrellas. 





And the classic, my all-time favorite, Showy Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)


Still on my of favorites list that I'd love to spot this spring are Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Dutchmen's Breeches, Hepatica, Wild Geranium, Wild Columbine, Solomon's Seal, and Wild Strawberry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...