Saturday, August 13, 2011

Repurposed Drawers as Shelves


A while ago I saw a magazine cover at work where an entire headboard was made out of old dresser drawers. I've been trying to find the picture of it online, and I think its a lost cause, since I can't remember the name of the magazine. In the mean time I've found other concepts, such as this:
Drawers used to make a modular bookcase

Finding the drawers in the first place was the hardest part of this whole project. I was hoping I would just serendipitously find them on the side of the road, but that hasn't happened yet, so I wound up posting an ad on craigslist. 1 person actually responded, and I picked up these 4 great drawers. They were the perfect size to use as mass market bookshelves. 


The paper in the bottom of them needed to come out, and they needed a good cleaning, but otherwise they were in great shape. Any they had awesome handles!!! 


I removed the hardware and spray-painted them my favorite moss/sage green, and then re-installed the drawer-pulls. I didn't feel like doing the measuring and math, but luckily Henry wanted to play, so he hung them up on the wall for me. We used "large safety spring Flush Mount Hangers"to hang them, and they seem to work really well. 



My bookshelf was stacked double thick with mass markets, so these drawers were great to actually be able to start organizing them!! Don't judge our nerdy science fiction tastes... I love how they turned out! 



Now I have three other blank white walls in our spare bedroom to deal with, and still have trade paperbacks double stacked on the bookshelf. Anyone got any drawers?  




5 comments:

  1. I'll see what my mom wants to do with my dresser once I move out (I'm not taking it with me). This is an awesome idea. I may have to steal it for our apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this is an awesome idea! I might just steal it for our sunroom or spare bedroom...

    Also, I love that sage green color. Good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some oak drawers that came off of a waterbed to give away out here. But the postage might be a little much to mail oak to Milwaukee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww man, those would be perfect, Dana! Maybe once we invent the teleporter... Or you could come visit? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of the headboard was on Do it Yourself magazine by Better Homes and Gardens. A summer issue I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...